Monday, July 25, 2011

Ms. Stewart I Expected More!

Dear Ms. Stewart (Martha to her close friends),

We have never had the pleasure of meeting.  I am not a viewer, a reader or a long time follower.  (I know... a great way to start off a letter.)  But recently I had my first encounter with one of your products and it was a total fail

I have been working on some old kitchen cabinets which I am trying to turn into something more and I wanted to try a crackle technique to give them some character. 


I was planning on following these directions but when I got to Home Depot I was informed that they did not have crackle medium but they did have this...


Martha Stewart Paintable White Crackle.  I was quickly sucked in by the pretty label and bright container (just like I am sure was planned) and I bought it.  As instructed by the directions on the back I also bought a putty knife for application.  I saw that it instructed me to apply the crackle over Martha Stewart Primer.  But seeing as how I had already sanded and primed the cabinets I figured I was good and was not about to be sucked into the "you have to buy my product and my product only" scheme.

So I got home and went right to work starting with my nicely sanded and primed cabinet.


I applied the Martha Stewart Crackle as instructed and let it dry over night.  But when I came back in the morning all I had was this...


Um, I am no crackle expert but this is not crackled AT ALL!  A total and complete FAIL

Needless to say, I am disappointed in our first adventure Ms. Stewart.  I was expecting so much more!  Or at least a little more...but I got nothing!  A perfectly good $6 down the drain.  Bummer. 

So now I go back to the sander and hope there is no permanent damage to the cabinet.

With Disappointment,

Jill at Mission Decorate

Side Note: I did not actually send this letter but if you have an address for Ms. Stewart please let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Hmm. I'll look in my records for the contact info I got. Not that they'll probably read it, but it's worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I don't have anything that would be helpful for you, and if you look for contact info on their website they clearly don't want feedback about any of their products. They direct you to the customer service departments of the various companies they've contracted with for the products, in your case, Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah...I was disappointed by one of Martha's cookie recipes from her "Cookies" cook book. It, too, was a total fail. However, your fail is a bigger pain in the neck to fix than mine...all I had to do was toss out the mess! No bueno, Martha. No bueno!!

    ReplyDelete