Friday, September 16, 2011

Fall Has Sprung

There is no use denying it, Fall is here.   And I actually really like Fall.  (But it does make me slightly dread what comes after it...but we wont talk about the W word right now.)  I love the crisp cool air when the sun is shinning.  I love the trees as they start to turn colors.  And I love digging out my warm cozy layers and then peeling them off again on a warm Fall day.  And I really love filling my home with hints of the new season.

Now I am not a "seasonal" decorator.  I have just never really been into holiday displays (other then some wonderful Christmas bling).  I don't put up scarecrows or scary zombies.  I don't set up a graveyard on my front lawn.  I like to be a little more subtle.  But I will say now that there is a little one in my house there may be a few more Halloween craft projects then in the past...but more on that later.

But with all that said I do think it is important to have the feel of the house match the feel outside.  So with that I did a little "Falling" to my accessories.  What got me started on the update were these great owls I found at Marshall's for $7.


I thought they were so cute and would be great on my mantel.  But I have been trying really hard to focus the family room on greys, blues, yellows and more upbeat colors so I wasn't sold on the brown.  But hey for $7 I can fix anything.  And fixing is what I did...some oil rubbed bronze and cream colored spray paint did the trick and helped make these little guys pop.




I also added a little green to the mantel because Fall is just as much about life as any season and this little fern does a great job of capturing that...


The front entry table was also spiced up with a fern and the bright greens and blues were toned down with deep red, wood and earthier greens.


The kitchen table got the most "seasonal" decorations of all.  I picked up a couple of pumpkins at Michael's at 30% off and bunched them with candles and earth toned balls (I mean what else can you call them?!?!) on this wonderful decorative plate I got years ago at Pier 1 Imports.  I love how the plate brings bright pops of color to the toned down palate.



So in all, I spruced up the house for Fall with just a few dollars.  Oh and by the way, while all this beautifying was going on at adult level this is what was going on at toddler level...


Anyone want to come over and play???

This post was shared on...




The Lettered Cottage

3 comments:

  1. Love the owls! Such a great find, and I love how you spruced up the set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha-adult level and toddler level. you'd never know if you didn't take that pic, lol. i love those little owls-i need to find me some for my fall decor. i'm hoping to come across some on clearance as they quickly start putting out the winter items.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those owls are adorable. Looks like your decorating is practical and beautiful - me likey!

    ReplyDelete